.I just sent this out to the win32 distribution list but no one has
replied.can someone on this list please help?  The issue should be
trivial for experienced MySQL users, I'm just a novice,  thanks!

Anyone - I've been racking my brain for the majority of the day and
scouring through the MySQL manual trying to figure out what is wrong.can
anyone please help?

Here's my issue:

- Extracted files to C:\MySQL
- Ran setup.exe (everything went fine, using MySQL Admin 1.4 I can see
'mysql' and 'test' dbs installed)
- MySQL is running as a service and MySQL Admin 1.4 shows a green light

>From the box that is running MySQL I try to set the root password in DOS
two ways and when I mention the host (believe it's 'SAMSERVER' according
to MySQL Admin tool) it gives me an error.
O c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root password XXXXX    .. Works fine and
the next line goes back to my root directory of c:\mysql\bin
O c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root -h SAMSERVER password XXXXX    ..
Gives me the below error!

Mysqladmin: connect to server at 'samserver' failed
Error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' <using password: NO>'
Also, when I try to connect to the database from another computer via
the web using http://samserver.sytes.net:8080/mysqltest.php
I get the following error (I've attached my mysqltest.php file too):
'Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user:
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES) in
C:\Apache\Apache2\html\mysqltest.php on line 20
Could not connect'
*** Note, I had to change my router settings to forward port 8080 to my
web server ip since my ISP blocks port 80.
Also, I've successfully installed phpMyAdmin 2.5.2-rc2.  When I run
'http://samsever.sytes.net:8080/phpadmin/index.php' I get the following
message:
"Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.5.2-rc2
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected
the connection. You should check the host, username and password in
config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information
given by the administrator of the MySQL server.
Error
MySQL said:
Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)"
Server Settings:
- Under MySQL Admin 1.4 on the Environment tab I see the following
settings:
            o Local Host Name: 'SAMSERVER'
            o Local User Name: ' Administrator'
            o OS Platform: 'Whistler'
            o Local IP Address: '192.168.1.102
            o ..also, in MyODBC window it finds driver 3.51 and API
level 2 and SQL level 1

- Chose 'username' and 'password' for MySQLAdmin.exe application
- MyODBC 3.51.06 installed - MySQL Connector/ODBC

Running These Software Versions:
- Windows XP with service pack 1
- MySQL 4.0.13 for windows
- Apache 2.0.47