Hi,

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> before posting to the bugs-list I would like to try it here to get some
> help :). Every now and then MySQL-4.0.13 crashes on my
> Dual-Athlon-MP-machine.

Is that a self-compiled binary or one of ours?

> Its not reproducible nor I know a query which does it.
> (The log shows that at the end, so no query :-( :
> Trying to get some variables.
> Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
> thd->query at 0x5e13a478  is invalid pointer
> thd->thread_id=2223573
> )

Not very helpful. Does this occur under high load only?

> The server is the standalone db-server for one accessing webserver, its
> running RedHat-Linux 7.2 with all their latest patches. Kernel
> 2.4.19-XFS with MySQL running on an XFS-filesystem. No replication but
> query-cache enabled.

What version of glibc is this system running on? Is it 2.2.3 by chance?

> Ok but now the worse thing started for 2 times I already got this problem in the
> logs:
> Number of processes running now: 16
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17193 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17191 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17190 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17145 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17144 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17098 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 17025 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 16987 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28393 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28392 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28391 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28389 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28388 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28387 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28386 - killed
> mysqld-max process hanging, pid 28385 - killed
> 030722 20:46:26  mysqld restarted
> ----
>
> Afterwards there is a init-process taking 99% from one CPU.
> The first time I tried to reboot the machine, which didn't work as
> the shutdown process was hanging then.
>

> Any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?  Didn't see a mention of a fix
> for that problem in the 4.0.14-changelog, will it still fix it?

What version of glibc is being used on that system? I noticed that you use
the "Max" binary, which is dynamically linked - so it will use the locally
installed libc.so. Is there any special reason for using Max? Or could you
try to use our statically linked Standard binary instead?

The problem above looks very similar to the problems we had when we linked
against glibc 2.2.3 instead of 2.2.5: under high load, a mysqld thread
starts eating up all CPU resources on an SMP system. Unfortunately we
never found the reason for that - it did not seem to happen when using
glibc 2.2.5...

Bye,
        LenZ
- --