Hi Lenz,

thanks a lot for your reply!

> Is that a self-compiled binary or one of ours?

It are the MySQL-4.0.13-MAX-RPMs from your site.

> Not very helpful. Does this occur under high load only?

Yeah I know, otherwise I would have tried to generate a reproducible testcase with a
given query or such.
Any way to have valid pointers there?

Nope, the load on that system is mostly around 0.5 with peaks up to 1.5, not something
I would call
a high load for a dual-system. Also the crashes are at many different times (even in
the deep night)
so I don't think its related to load :-(.

> What version of glibc is this system running on? Is it 2.2.3 by chance?

Nope, sorry. Its glibc-2.2.4-32.

> What version of glibc is being used on that system? I noticed that you use
> the "Max" binary, which is dynamically linked - so it will use the locally
> installed libc.so. Is there any special reason for using Max? Or could you
> try to use our statically linked Standard binary instead?

Yeah I could try that instead, maybe I should try with 4.0.13 to see if its a problem
of
that version. Or should I better try 4.0.14 already?
I was hosting a couple of bdb-tables for some time, but no longer now.
Currently only myisam and innodb-tables so I could try the standard-built too.

> The problem above looks very similar to the problems we had when we linked
> against glibc 2.2.3 instead of 2.2.5: under high load, a mysqld thread
> starts eating up all CPU resources on an SMP system. Unfortunately we
> never found the reason for that - it did not seem to happen when using
> glibc 2.2.5...

Hmm, maybe 2.2.4 has the same problem? The problem is that the init-process is taking
all the cpu, didn't see a mysql-process doing the same before.

Thanks,

Thomas