At 12:14 -0400 8/4/03, Jeffery C. Baldwin wrote:
Just to drop my $.02 in on this.. I started reading the 1st version of
Pauls' MySQL book online a week or so back using my account over at
'Safari', once I read a little and decided that I was genuinely
interested in this MySQL 'thing', I went over to Barnes and Noble with
intentions of getting a hard copy of the 2nd edition of this book..
well.. I ended up leaving the store with a copy of 'Mastering MySQL' by
Sybex instead.  I returned that book yesterday and picked up the 2nd
Edition of MySQL :-).  I initially chose the 'Mastering MySQL' book
pretty much due to one reason, and that the size of the MySQL' book was
a little intimidating.  But once I got home and started reading the
Sybex book I realized why Pauls' book is so long, it is impossible to
cover the amount of content necessary to get a good grasp for Mysql
without using a lot of paper :-).  The Sybex book made a lot of
assumptions and didn't go into what I felt was very thorough detail on
any subject (my idea is that this is a great book for the experienced DB
admin), while Paul takes the time to explain each subject and every
detail very thoroughly.

Thanks Paul, I just started this book but I'm already very impressed.

Thanks, I hope you find it helpful.

I agree that it would be nice were the book a bit shorter.  If there
is a third edition, I will probably trim the 3.22/3.23 material to
an appendix or web-accessible-only addendum and make 4.0 the baseline
version to keep the size down. :-)

Again.. all of this is just my $.02 and I am VERY new at all of this DB stuff

Jeff

|  Jeffery C Baldwin
|  Computer Consultant II
|
|  University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
|  213 Miller Hall
|  CB# 1105
|  Chapel Hill, NC 27599
|
|  Phone: (919) 843-2725