[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>scuse the ignorance are u saying high cpu usage is better used on one
>query or better be freed up for other queries ? ram is always an issue
>as the queries get buffered

I'm saying that if your current machine has the mysqld CPU utilization
at 100% then what's keeping your queries from going faster is that
you've run out of CPU capacity, so adding more (via a faster processor)
will make the query go faster.

If the mysqld CPU utilization is at 25% then the speed of the processor
is not what's making the query go slow (you still have processor
capacity left to use, but you can't utilize it because something else is
slowing you down).  In this case a faster processor won't help
much...the processor isn't the limiting factor.

This assumes you're doing the benchmarking with nothing else running,
obviously.  If MySQL is at 25% but you have other programs running
heavily it doesn't tell you much, but if it's at 25% and the rest of the
capacity is idle then the CPU isn't the problem.

--Ware Adams