Thomas Deliduka unknowingly asked us:
Right, however, I am following the progression of 1,2,3.  My code I pasted
here showed that the connection function did the connect and select in the
same function and in my debugging I did confirm that $db does equal
my_database. I have also manually typed it in and it still doesn't work.
It's as if the PHP mysql_select_db function simply doesn't want to select
the right table. However it does fine when connecting to the Mysql 3.23
server.

Firstly, you will have to re-read your message before you press the send button each time. What you are saying is very unclear to the rest of us.

Nextly, your statement:

It's as if the PHP mysql_select_db function simply doesn't want to select
the right table.

Note, that PHP's mysql_select_db DOES NOT select a table. It selects a DB.

The first thing to do to your script is this:

1. Strip ALL @ symbols before functions. Its a wreckless havoc.
2. Secondly, do not put blame on PHP's mysql_select_db function as there about 5000 people using that function successfully.
3. Thirdly, _completely) clear up your file, and start fresh, with just necessary lines of code. Remove all unnecessary IF conditions, for the time being. Something like this:

<?php

$host = "your_host";
$username = "your_username";
$pass = "your_pass";

$database = "your_database";

$connection = mysql_connect ($host,$username,$pass);
$select = mysql_select_db ($database);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table_name");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
        print_r ($row);

if (!$connection || !$select || !$result)
        echo mysql_error();

?>

Run, this beautiful code, and see if you get any output at all. If not, check if spellings are correct. If you do not get any error messages, set the error_reporting value to 'all' using PHP's ini_set() or the error_reporting() function.

If you still don't get any errors, and if your query doesn't work, take a coffee break, and come back next day. Still doesn't work, punch your monitor hard, because you need HELP.

--
Think to think more, work to work more.