SELECT count(*)
FROM commercial_entity, country, user_account, address_list
LEFT JOIN state_province ON address_list.state_province_id =
state_province.state_province_id
LEFT JOIN contact_info ON address_list.contact_info_id =
contact_info.contact_info_id
WHERE address_list.address_type_id = 101
AND commercial_entity.commercial_entity_id =
address_list.commercial_entity_id
AND address_list.country_id = country.country_id
AND commercial_entity.user_account_id = user_account.user_account_id
AND user_account.user_role_id IN (101, 101);

SELECT count(*)
FROM commercial_entity, address_list, country, user_account
LEFT JOIN state_province ON address_list.state_province_id =
state_province.state_province_id
LEFT JOIN contact_info ON address_list.contact_info_id =
contact_info.contact_info_id
WHERE address_list.address_type_id = 101
AND commercial_entity.commercial_entity_id =
address_list.commercial_entity_id
AND address_list.country_id = country.country_id
AND commercial_entity.user_account_id = user_account.user_account_id
AND user_account.user_role_id IN (101, 101);

The first one takes 1.73 seconds, the other takes 0.34 seconds.

The only difference is the order of the tables (address_list comes last in
the FROM clause in the first example, and is in the middle of the FROM
clause in the second example)...

I stumbed on this when benchmarking Postgres vs MySQL, and accidentally
pulled the Postgres version of the query and put it into the MySQL window
(Postgres won't run the MySQL version, but MySQL runs the Postgres version).

Oracle has the concept of a "driving table". Is this a similar example?

David.