----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Greene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Director General: NEFACOMP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 18:17
Subject: RE: Ideas on creating connections

The general rule of thumb is that connection creation/destruction is the
most costly part of approach #2.  However, it is unlikely that each
connection needs a dedicated connection, and therefore memory resources on
the server for the entirity of the client's lifespan...

if your clients are firing off many queries back-to-back, buy a lot of
memory for your server, and go w/ your option #1.

if it's a typical app, where the user queries data, looks through it for a
bit, then queries more, yadda, yadda, yadda, then what you're probably going
to want to do is #2.

Without a central 'app server' as such, you can't really take advantage of
connection pooling.  The closest you can do is write into your app that if
the connection is idle for x amount of time, then it closes the connection,
and reestablishes it upon next data request.

Hope this helps...

Dan Greene