I have this 2 queries:

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(LEFT(p.prod_num,5))) FROM products p, tlines l,
prod_line pl WHERE l.Line = 'Solaris' AND l.id=pl.line_id AND pl.prod_id =
p.id_product

SELECT DISTINCT(LEFT(p.prod_num,5))as prod_num, p.description AS
description,l.Line as line,l.Content as content FROM products p, tlines l,
prod_line pl WHERE l.Line = 'Solaris' AND l.id=pl.line_id AND pl.prod_id =
p.id_product

The only difference between them is that in one I want the count of rows and
on the other I want the columns.
When I run the queries I get for example 24 as result of the count and on
the other query I get 26 records.
In those 26 records I get 2 prod_num duplicated when I'm asking for
DISTINCT.
Now, the other thing is if I only leave the prod_num column the number of
rows are the same, if I add another column it changes to 26.
I know I have some duplicates on the second table, and that's affecting the
results, but I don't know why.
Any hint on why is that happening?

                 Thanks,

                         Hector