Martijn, thank you very much for your analysis. I hope others will continue to join in.

With regard to your point quoted below, are you referring to PostgreSQL, and would
that be a
stronger competitor to MS SQL Server 2000 than either the current version of MySQL or
MySQL 5?

Thanks, again, for your thoughts.

-Kevin

>>> Martijn Tonies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/07/03 12:12PM >>>
> 3. Would the deficiencies pointed out in MySQL, if true, apply to the type
of work we envision? Granted, I haven't given you all much information about
what we hope to do with an SQL engine, but I don't think it will be very
sophisticated.

If it's not "very sophisticated", MySQL will do just fine. In my opinion.
There are
other free and open source DBMSes as well, that do have procedures,
triggers,
views, subqueries and the like.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com