kevin,

i tend to think the consultant really just read something that microsoft
sent him. it doesn't sound like he's qualified to suggest one database
or another.

We've been usinf mysql for a year now. We use InnoDB tables, which give
us primary key/foreign key constraints and transactions. We've gotten
around the lack of stored procedures by putting the necessary logic and
checks into the application that inserts/updates the database. We have
several tables with > 8 million rows, and growing every day. updating
rows on the big tables still shows approximately constant time
performance. In general, we are extremely satisfied with the product,
and have purchased a license (about $400 -- mainly so we can contribute
to the cause). When 4.1 becomes stable, we will upgrade in order to get
the sub-select capability.

I came from an Oracle/Sybase background. Those products have features
that mysql does not have, in particular DBA-specific tables, views, and
triggers, but you may not need these features.

happy to give you more information if you need it.

jeff

KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:

> Nestor, thanks for your question.
>
> The platform will actually be dictated by the SQL engine, not the
> other way around, which is more typically the case. If we go with
> MS SQL Server, we'll build a separate host, NT I would guess, to
> host it. I'm only responsible for Unix and Linux boxes here, so it'll be the
> responsibility of another group. If we go with MySQL or PostgreSQL
> (the only databases I have any familiarity with), I'll probably be
> responsible for setting up and configuring a new Linux (Debian) host,
> and maintaining it. The in-house database administer would be the
> administrator, and I would just offer any help that I could, which might
> not be much.
>
> Thanks, again, for writing.
>
> -Kevin

> I have not work with it but postgres is supposed to work great in
> /BSD/Linux/Unix/solaris environment
> Which platform are you using?
>
> :-)
>
> Nestor A. Florez

> Hi Kevin,
>
> > Martijn, thank you very much for your analysis.
> >I hope others will continue to join in.
>
> So do I :-)
>
> > With regard to your point quoted below, are you referring to
> PostgreSQL,
> and would that be a
> > stronger competitor to MS SQL Server 2000 than either the current
> version
> of MySQL or
> > MySQL 5?
>
> I have no experience with PostgreSQL - although, from what I've heard
> and
> read,
> it's quite capable - but not easy to get going on Windows.
>
> One other open source RDBMS would be Firebird - see www.firebirdsql.org
>
> Especially the newer release (1.5). Don't get fooled by that version
> number -
> it's a fork of the Borland InterBase code, which has been around for
> about
> 20
> years now.
>
> I'm looking forward to MySQL5 to see what's new and how it's
> implemented.
>
> As for what engine would be the best for you - it all depends on what
> you're
> going to do. For example, I frequently use triggers and check
> constraints in
> my database applications, with MySQL, I can't do this.
>
> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL
> Server.
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
>
> --

Jeff Mathis, Ph.D.                      505-955-1434
The Prediction Company                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
525 Camino de los Marquez, Ste 6        http://www.predict.com
Santa Fe, NM 87505