It sounds like a copy and paste from Microsoft, but that is just my guess. An objective recommendation with show pluses and minuses of both. It most definitely does not sound like this consultant is qualified to suggest a database product. What about PostgresSQL, Oracle, Sybase, DB2? They all at least match the features of SQL Server, except maybe Postgres, and they run on more platforms and are more scalable.
MySQL does have transaction support in the form of InnoDB tables. Sub-queries are now supported in v4, although not the fastest implementation. The other areas MySQL is lacking.
When I first started using MySQL, subqueries were not supported and I found it frustrating. Since then I have truly acquired in depth knowledge of left and right joins and other techniques that I really didn't have before. I think I now write better, faster queries because I was forced to learn a new technique. I now have better knowledge of SQL. Not sure if that was a good or bad point.

If your needs are simple, you can get by without stored procedures and triggers. Referential integrity can be "enforced" in your front-end code.
Here is a question: how much would it cost to give everyone a copy of the database to play with? On their laptop, home computer? Nothing for MySQL or Postgres.
What front-end will be used? Your options for SQL Server are kind of limited.