At 11:03 -0500 11/19/03, Denis Mercier wrote:

 >>  >use my_db;
 >>  >select * from my_table;
 >>  >
 >>  >so when i try shell> mysql --pager < test1 | tar x
 >>  >
 >>  >the tar file does not get written to /usr/local/test1 but i still dont
 >>  >get my untared files? write permissions are ok?
 >>  >what am i missing?
 >>
 >>  Have you verified that the mysql command actually writes any output, for
 >>  example, with this command:
 >>
 >  > shell> mysql --pager < test1 | wc
 >>
 >>  Do you get any output from tar at all, such as an error message?
 >>  Maybe the output from mysql isn't suitable.  Couple of things to try:
 >>
 >The output from mysql seems fine because when it does write the value
 >of my blob I get a well formatted tar file,
 >I'm thinking that maybe tar cannot handle a stream as it's input?

That may be. In that case, you should invoke tar as

tar xf -

I have tried tar xf but tar gives me an error, it wants a file specified.

But I didn't say to use "tar xf". I said to use "tar xf -". That dash is highly significant. It means "The file to read is the standard input".

-- Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/