This may be simplistic, but is mysql putting any text before / after blob content,
such as column name, '1 row processed OK', that may be 'corrupting' the tar data?

using a very small tar file, and run your command, piping to more instead of tar to
see if there is any extra text that mysql is adding in when it's not explictly running
'into dumpfile'