On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:26, Paul DuBois wrote:
> At 11:03 -0500 11/19/03, Denis Mercier wrote:
>
> >  > >>  >i also tried:
> >>  >>  >use my_db;
> >>  >>  >select * from my_table;
> >>  >>  >
> >>  >>  >so when i try shell> mysql --pager < test1 | tar x
> >>  >>  >
> >>  >>  >the tar file does not get written to /usr/local/test1 but i still dont
> >>  >>  >get my untared files? write permissions are ok?
> >>  >>  >what am i missing?
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  Have you verified that the mysql command actually writes any output, for
> >>  >>  example, with this command:
> >>  >>
> >>  >  > shell> mysql --pager < test1 | wc
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  Do you get any output from tar at all, such as an error message?
> >>  >>  Maybe the output from mysql isn't suitable.  Couple of things to try:
> >>  >>
> >>  >The output from mysql seems fine because when it does write the value
> >>  >of my blob I get a well formatted tar file,
> >>  >I'm thinking that maybe tar cannot handle a stream as it's input?
> >>
> >>  That may be.  In that case, you should invoke tar as
> >>
> >>  tar xf -
> >>

> >I have tried tar xf but tar gives me an error, it wants a file
> >specified.
>
> But I didn't say to use "tar xf".  I said to use "tar xf -".  That
> dash is highly significant.  It means "The file to read is the
> standard input".

tried tar xf -
mysql  < test1 |  tar xf -
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

I dont get it, if i do this command:

mysql> select * into dumpfile "/usr/local/test1.tar" from my_table

I get a tar archive written to /usr/local/

I'm using mysql client to store my tar file as a blob,
mysql> insert into my_table values(LOAD_FILE("/usr/local/test1.tar"));

could this function cause my problem?
Thanks