On Monday 01 December 2003 12:24, Wouter van Vliet wrote:
> Duncan Hill wrote:

> > Remove the password from the login and the problem appears to
> > go away.  I've hammered my test DBs with thousands of serial
> > logins, and the problem only shows when a login has a password.
>
> I'm sory, and I don't want to sound disrespectfull but I do really hope you
> only adviced this as a testing thing and not the real thing. (Francis: for
> all I know there's no bug with passwords. I've been using it without
> problems for quite a while now)

Sure.  I never said to do in a production environment - and I'd hope any admin
worth their salt wouldn't do that.  I have reported this to the list before,
however, that 4.1 alpha, RedHat 9 (fully patched) generates random connection
denied messages for any client.  I've witnessed it in perl scripts, php
scripts and the mysql command line client.

The test script I wrote sets out with a user, password and host.  While $i <
1000, connect, disconnect.  Within the first 100 attempts (normally), the
connection will come back as access denied, and the server log also reports
access denied.  Remove the password, and I can hit the DB 10,000 times with
no issue.  Put a password back on, and it'll fail.

Is it my environment?  Possibly.  I'm using the RPMs from mysql.com, so I'd
assume that hat I'm seeing is a conflict of OS + software, somewhere.

Either way, it's a bloody annoying problem, and I've got so much other work to
do that I'm getting tempted to put null passwords into production (and not be
worth my salt :) and rely on firewalls and ip restrictions.