jeepcreep wrote:

Just loaded mySQL v4 to LINUX Mandrake v9.2 via RPM. The error 2002 talks
of a mysql.sock file. I can't find this file anywhere on my box. Can't
figure out why I can't find it as I'm preety sure the install was
completed successfully. If I want to rebuild it, though, what's in it?

The mysql.sock file only exists while MySQL is running.
Maybe you installed MySQL but haven't started it.
I don't know how Mandrake handles starting & stopping services, but you should have a script: /etc/init.d/mysql ( or something like that ).
Try:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

That's what starts it on mine anyway.

--