Stéphane Bischoff wrote:

We are programming a Delphi application that interacts with the MySQL server
from Windows.

Normally we would need a client side licence ?

But if we use a set of components (from a third party) that allow us to
interact with the MySQL server without using the MySQL client. In this case,
do we need to buy a client licence at all ?

This is your standard "I am not a lawyer" type answer, because reading the text of the GPL can be overwhelming, but the way I understand it, if you are shipping MySql with your app, then you've either got to release your app under the GPL, or you've got to buy a commercial Mysql license for each copy of your app that you ship.

If you were to simply download and install MySQL at your company
office, then write apps for in-house use at your company, then
you have no license issues.  Your apps would not need to be
GPL, and you do not need a Mysql commercial license.

This was discussed by a Mysql AB employee during the MySQL
training class I took a few weeks ago.