If you were to simply download and install MySQL at your company
office, then write apps for in-house use at your company, then
you have no license issues.  Your apps would not need to be
GPL, and you do not need a Mysql commercial license.

This was discussed by a Mysql AB employee during the MySQL
training class I took a few weeks ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is not the case.
If you do not use the source of mysql, GPL doesn't apply.

According to GPL, you have to make your program free (open source)
only if you use source from a GPL licensed program or if you modify it etc.

I think that mySQL doesn't have redistribution targeted license.

Ivan