Schrodinger wrote:

I have removed all localhost user entries and all users should now be
able to connect from any host. But when a user attempts to connect with
a password they get the usual

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:
YES)

In an earlier message, you said you downgraded from mysql 4.1.? to 4.0.6 (Why not 4.0.16?). mysql 4.1 has a different password format in the user table than previous versions. Pre 4.1.x mysql uses 16 byte hashes to store passwords, 4.1.0 uses 45 byte hashes, and 4.1.1 (and up) uses 41 byte hashes. If you kept (or restored) the mysql user table you created in 4.1, you may now be comparing a 16 byte password hash to a 41 or 45 byte hash. As I understand it, the only way that could match is if both are blank. If this is the case for you, use GRANT to reset the passwords to new 16 byte hashes.

See <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Password_hashing.html> for more.

Michael