Hi!

--cut

> To be honest, the vast majority of database installations experience
> problems in performance caused by poor query and schema design,
> bad application logic or grossly underspecified hardware. A change in
> the number of files used to store the data is extremely unlikely
> to resolve these problems given all other variables in the environment
> remain fixed.
>
> What does everyone else think?

--cut

(sigh)
You're so right.
Almost every day I find myself hammering on database developers that
'there should be an index' , 'that index should not be used', 'the join
order is wrong', 'the app designer should be punished', 'don't use a
function around an indexed column (unless you use Oracle and have
function-based indexes)', 'know your data to be able to write the right
queries and to be able to help the poor optimizer to do a good job',
'test concurrency, test scalability, test realistically' and so on ...
But that's the funny thing: when everything is done and deployed and
__slow__ then 'the database is so slow, do something (immediately!)'.

Regards,
     Frank.

--
Dr. Frank Ullrich, DBA Netzwerkadministration
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625