Chris Allen wrote:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:13:39PM +1100, Chris Nolan wrote:

There are a few things that could be happening:

Are you using persistant connections from your web servers,

Yes - with Apache::DBI under mod_perl

Well, that's one option out of the way,,,

2. Which FS are you using? The native Solaris FS needs a bit of tuning to get decent DB performance apparently.

The DB is on a vanilla UFS partition. Do you have any references about this? I couldn't find anything on the MySQL site...

There's nothing on the MySQL site but I do remember reading a comparison between Solaris x86 and
Linux that showed that UFS gained quite a massive speedup for DB-style operations by turning on something
similar to (or perhaps the very same thing as) soft updates.

3. What sort of disk subsystem does the new box have? As the load is so high, it seems that either MySQL is waiting on disk I/O or network I/O....

The database is on a single 120GB SCSI disk internal to the main
unit. Nothing else is on that disk. If you have any suggestions for
tests I could switch the machine into the system again and capture
what is happening...

MySQL runs in a single process of 720MB with the settings I
gave it.

Is the disk subsystem in the original box similar?

4. What table type(s) are you using on each box?

Our database has 53 tables, all are MyISAM. The entire
database takes up 1.9GB on disk. Almost all queries are
lightweight ones of the form:

select * from sometable where id=12345;

where id is the primary key or,

select id from sometable where customer=12345

where customer is indexed.

Hmmm....it's very, very unlikely, but have you checked to ensure that MySQL is
using the indexes on the Solaris box (with EXPLAIN SELECT...) ? Additionally,
what's your approximate balance of SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE
operations? The fact that there's such a huge difference here is odd...

Please write back! Let's fix this! :-)

Many thanks for your help!

You're welcome! A few other questions have come to mind:

1. Are you using MySQL 3.23.52 on the Solaris box as well?
2. Have you tried facing Stockholm and begging for salvation?

Regards,

Chris