There are a few things that could be happening:

1. Solaris 8 uses many-to-many threads in "Solaris threading mode" and 1:1 in
POSIX threading mode. I'm not sure which functionality the MySQL binaries exercise,
but 1:1 seems to be less intensive. Regardless, Solaris thread creation tends to be slower than
process creation on Linux (on the same hardware) and that is slower than thread creation
on Linux (for the most part). Are you using persistant connections from your web servers, as
each new connection will spawn a thread (for now - There are apparently plans to offer
an alternative helper-thread connection and query handler model).

2. Which FS are you using? The native Solaris FS needs a bit of tuning to get decent DB performance
apparently.

3. What sort of disk subsystem does the new box have? As the load is so high, it seems that
either MySQL is waiting on disk I/O or network I/O....

4. What table type(s) are you using on each box?

Please write back! Let's fix this! :-)

Regards,

Chris

Chris Allen wrote:

I have a MySQL replication slave running 3.23.52 on a 2.4.18 linux box with 1.2GHz P3 and 512MB of memory.

The box serves three web servers and runs at about 70 queries per second most of the time, with system load
at about 0.5

MySQL is the precompiled RPM from mysql.com

Recently I tried to replace this box with a Sun Netra T1
with a 500MHz Ultrasparc, 2GB of RAM running Solaris 8
Once again I used the precompiled binaries from mysql.com.

The system load under this setup was 50-75!!

I realise Solaris is likely to be slower than Linux,
but loading of this level seems excessive.

Can anybody suggest what might be the problem?

Many thanks,

Chris Allen.

Linux my.cnf:

[mysqld] server-id = 2 skip-locking set-variable = max_connections=400 set-variable = back_log=20 set-variable = key_buffer=150M set-variable = table_cache=256 set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M set-variable = sort_buffer=1M set-variable = record_buffer=1M set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M set-variable = thread_cache=16 set-variable = long_query_time=4 master-host = **** master-user = **** master-password = ****

Solaris my.cnf:

[mysqld] server-id = 4 skip-locking set-variable = net_buffer_length=8K set-variable = max_connections=400 set-variable = back_log=50 set-variable = key_buffer=640M set-variable = table_cache=128 set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M set-variable = sort_buffer=2M set-variable = record_buffer=2M set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M set-variable = thread_cache=24 set-variable = long_query_time=4 master-host = **** master-user = **** master-password = ****