> C:\MySQL\bin>mysql show
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'ODBC'@'localhost' (Using
> password:
>
> YES)
>

> C:\MySQL\bin>mysql show -u root
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'root'@'localhost' (Using
> password:
>
> YES)
Your musql setup requires a password for root and you didn't include the
-p so that mysql client will ask you for the password on the next line.

> C:\MySQL\bin>mysql show -u root -p
>
> Enter password: **********
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'root'@'localhost' (Using
> password:
> YES)

Did you enter the password which was configured or mysqld that you are
runnning?

> C:\MySQL\bin>mysql show -u administrator -p
>
> Enter password: **********
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'administrator'@'localhost'
> (Using p
>
> assword: YES)
Administrator is windows OS equivalent to *nix 'root' but mysql expects
its all powerful user to be called 'root' NOT administrator.

> C:\MySQL\bin>

Ah you are on widows.. on the right of the bottom bar (the one which can
be hidden) is an icon which looks like a traffic signal(should have its
green light on). Click on it and then click on 'Show Me' in the popup Go
to the my.ini Setup tab and look for the root password.