At 02:19 PM 1/22/2004, David Blomstrom wrote:
I'm using a preconfigured package that includes PHPMyAdmin, which seems to be a pretty good program. However, I just read that similar programs are available, including MySQL Control Center, EMS MySQL Manager, urSAL, PremiumSoft MySQL Studio and MySQLGUI. I just wondered if there might be some advantage to having two or more such programs installed. Would working with MySQL through two different interfaces give you a different perspective, making it a little easier to understand? Or are there particular strengths each program has?

Also, would different MySQL administration tools conflict with each other? If you created a new database with phpMyAdmin, would it be recognized by MSQL Control Center? Could you work on MySQL with both programs on at the same time?

Thanks.

I have both PHPMyAdmin & MySQL Control Center Installed, and use both. Each program has a slightly different interface and method of access the databases, tables, and configuration information. Two big differences....all interfaces must be able to directly access the SQL Server. The thing about the PHPMyAdmin is that you install it on a web server that has access to the MySQL server. I have my SQL server behind a firewall and no one outside of the local LAN can access the SQL server. So when I am out of the office and need access to the SQL databases/server, I always use PHPMyAdmin. I have one machine with secure access setup running PHPMyAdmin that I access from the Internet, then use PHPMyAdmin on the Web Server to access and work on the mySQL Server.

Patrick J. Shoaf, Systems Engineer <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Midmon Internet Services, LLC
100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
http://www.midmon.com