> At 11:19 -0800 1/22/04, David Blomstrom wrote:
> >
> >I'm using a preconfigured package that includes PHPMyAdmin, which
> >seems to be a pretty good program. However, I just read that similar
> >programs are available, including MySQL Control Center, EMS MySQL
> >Manager, urSAL, PremiumSoft MySQL Studio and MySQLGUI. I just
> >wondered if there might be some advantage to having two or more such
> >programs installed. Would working with MySQL through two different
> >interfaces give you a different perspective, making it a little
> >easier to understand? Or are there particular strengths each program
> >has?
> >
> >Also, would different MySQL administration tools conflict with each
> >other? If you created a new database with phpMyAdmin, would it be
> >recognized by MSQL Control Center? Could you work on MySQL with both
> >programs on at the same time?

> >I just wondered if there might be some advantage to having two or more
> >suchprograms installed. Would working with MySQL through two different
> >interfaces give you a different perspective, making it a little
> >easier to understand? Or are there particular strengths each program
> >has?

I believe so, as you get different persectives from different interfaces.
As far as easier to understand, I think that's relative to one's current
understanding -- certainly different people prefer different tools.  Many
of the programs attempt to provide the same basic functionality, but
certainly most have some key strengths -- a tool like urSQL, for example,
isn't as strong at administration, as it's geared more toward SQL
development, query testing, and ad hoc queries.

> >Also, would different MySQL administration tools conflict with each
> >other?

No, I'm not aware of any conflicts between MySQL tools and it doesn't seem
likely that there would be.

> >If you created a new database with phpMyAdmin, would it be
> >recognized by MSQL Control Center?

Definitely.  The database creation is handled at the MySQL server and is
independent of the tool.

> >Could you work on MySQL with both programs on at the same time?

This should also be possible.  However, you might want to be careful with
updates and deletes as one program could easily overwrite a previous
update or incorrectly identify a row (e.g. when a value of a where clause
changes).