Mike Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I am in the process of setting up a simple replication and have a
> question that I can't figure out from the docs.
>
> I have 2 servers, N1 is a test machine and hosts 2 databases "live" and
> "test". N1 is a slave to N2 which is a production machine and primary
> host of "live".
>
> Basically I want to achieve 2 things.
>
> 1. To replicate "live" from N2 to N1.

Use replicate-do-db=live or replicate-wild-do-table.live.% options on the slave (N1):
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication_Options.html

> 2. To populate test on N1 by replication from live on N1

In this case you should run two MySQL servers on the test box. N1_1 will be slave for
N2 and master for N1_2. N1_2 will replicate database 'live' using
replicate-rewrite-db=live->test option.
You will have chain replication servers: N2 -> N1_1 -> N1_2.

> The access rights on the test machine to the "test" database are "all"
> for the developers, who have only read rights to "live" on the same
> machine and no access at all to "live" on N2..
>
> Basically I am somewhat confused on how to handle replication of the
> mysql database and the access rights. Will the access rights from N2
> overwrite anything on N1 or can a more fine-grained control be achieved.
> Or should I exclude some or all of the contents of mysql from the
> replication and maintain that database manually ???

No, privilege tables on N1 will not be overwritten. You can set up needed permissions
on each servers.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com