Chris,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Nolan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: InnoDB Hot Backup + MySQL embedded?

> Dear Heikki,
>
> Thanks for the quick response! It never ceases to amaze me that such
> compartively small teams at Innobase Oy and MySQL AB produce such
> incredibly high-quality software.

thank you for the praise :).

> Being a final-year Software Engineering student, I'm curious as to what
> you consider the most difficult problem to solve in building InnoDB and
> ibbackup has been.

Of technical matters, multiversioning (consistent read) has been the most
difficult to get working reliably. I wrote it probably around 1996, and
still last year a bug was found in it. Adaptive hash indexes and the insert
buffer have also been difficult to debug. The reason is obvious: in these 3
things parallel execution of threads as well as background cleanup
operations complicate things. One-threaded, deterministic processing is much
easier to debug than multithreaded nondeterministic execution.

> Given the fact that you set your goals extremely high
> for InnoDB (and have acheived them quite handily),  I want to ensure
> that if anything remotely similar comes up in my final-year project that
> I either put my hand up for it and take on the challenge or run
> screaming in the other direction and have a somewhat easier year.

In academic circles it is best not to put too much emphasis on programming
work :). Referees tend to favor papers written in plain English, and want
algorithms in pseudocode. They are not willing to dive into the full
complexity of a real-world implementation. There has been quite a lot of
debate and criticism around this gap between typical university research and
practical applications, but things will probably not change in the next 2500
years.

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Best regards,