Heikki,

Thank you greatly for answering my questions. Your obvious dedication to
the open source world and high-quality of software cannot be
understated.

Upon reading some of the InnoDB source code, I've noticed that C seems
to be your language of choice. That said, it seems more and more of the
literature that is promoted around my university emphasises testing
methods related to OO languages like Java and C++ or looking at
different programming paradigms such as logical programming (my
university formally trains all students in Prolog and optionally
Mercury) and functional programming (Our very first CS subject involves
Haskell programming! It used to involve Miranda). Is there anything in
the way of strategies that you would recommend to developers (I'm
working on a MySQL/InnoDB based server app at the moment. Anyone else
who reads this message please hit me with your 2c) regarding  C
programming and testing (they drill C into us with great rigor at the
university I attend, but after second year it boils down to assignment
submissions and that's about it)?

The reason that I ask is that you have managed to create the world's
fastest transactional database handler that runs on such a large number
of different architectures and operating systems. Also, the fact that
you've taken everything that Oracle tout as making them brilliant and
doing it many times better than they have displays your commitment and
incredible set of skills.

I hope that one day that the software I am currently building will also
contribute to both the commercial software world and the open source
community. The fact that you've achieved this with such success and that
you post to the MySQL mailing list so often is why I ask you these
questions.

Regards,

Chris