Is it possible to JOIN the results of a DESCRIBE TABLE to some other query? The semantics of what I would like to do is the following:

SELECT d_fldcomment from desc LEFT JOIN DESCRIBE footable ON desc.d_table = 'footable' AND desc.d_field = Field;

so the resultset would look like a regular DESCRIBE <table> except it would also include my tacked on comment.

I KNOW the need for this will be obsoleted in mySQL 5 but people will be stuck on prev versions for the next 2 years.

Any clever way to do this or fake it so everything is in one resultset?
I already did it in the obvious boneheaded way and as always when that happens one things "THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY"

still on 3.23