"SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM USER_TABLES".
I found the error message on Oracle's web site, but their description of the error doesn't help me much:
*Cause: * The buffer length was less than the minimum required or greater than its length at bind time minus two bytes.
I don't know what buffer this is referring to, and since I don't know Perl, I've had no success trying to find anything in oracledump.pl that might be the buffer.

I do not think the problem is the Perl buffers per say, but rather some misunderstanding between the DBD driver and the server, possibly in the buffer size of the driver. You could possibly solve the issue by slightly rewriting the query so that it will produce the same results, but will be handled by a different part of the driver. One thing to try is to do it without ? placeholders

Perl is fairly easy to learn if you know some other programming langauge, and is a good thing to have on your resume. I would predict that you would be fluent enough in it to make the change I am suggesting in no more than two hours. Start with "Hello, world", play with string concatenation a bit, and then go straight to the DBI/DBD examples.

-- Sasha Pachev Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/