Hi Beau,

basically, you can use anything from MySQL 3.x, as you like it. I'm on an
Internet Newsboard System for a while and switched that to UTF-8 for all
data handling, display and storage. (Even sending out UTF-8 e-mails and
Jabber messages...) You just have to give MySQL the UTF-8 encoded string,
there's no problem with that.

But there is one exception I have found by now: You may experience problems
with sorting of non-ANSI characters. They will be sorted by their byte
values, with no respect to multibyte characters (except from MySQL 4.1 on).
If that's not a too big problem for you, it should work anyway. (You could
check the sorted output and re-sort them manually...)

And there's another problem with it: FULLTEXT indices might cause problems
with words containing non-ANSI characters, specifically, MySQL won't index
them (AFAIK).

--
Yves Goergen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]