On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Joshua Beall wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can point me to a utility that will let me dump
> the
> result of a MySQL query to a file I can open in MS Excel or (preferably)
> OpenOffice.org Calc.
[...]
> But before I spend any time working on doing that, I am wondering if
> anyone
> knows of a way to do this already?
>
> I am running MySQL 4.0.12-standard on Mandrake 9.2 on the server, and my
> workstation is an XP Pro box.  I use MySQL CC 0.9.1-beta and phpMyAdmin
> 2.5.0, but am completely willing to upgrade more recent versions of
> either
> of these tools, or try a new one.

Should we presume you haven't noticed the, admittedly not widely
publicised, Database Access features of OpenOffice.org?  You can use odbc
or jdbc (I can only vouch for the latter, on Linux) to connect to the
mysql server from within OOo.  "Should" work just fine on your XP box.

To get started, open a new spreadseet (or any other kind of document) and
select View->Data Sources (or F4).  Once you've defined the database
connection and the query your original question reduces to dragging the
query result and dropping it into the spreadsheet :-)

HTH,
Neale.