Neale Banks wrote:

> Should we presume you haven't noticed the, admittedly not widely
> publicised, Database Access features of OpenOffice.org?  You can use odbc
> or jdbc (I can only vouch for the latter, on Linux) to connect to the
> mysql server from within OOo.  "Should" work just fine on your XP box.
>
> To get started, open a new spreadseet (or any other kind of document) and
> select View->Data Sources (or F4).  Once you've defined the database
> connection and the query your original question reduces to dragging the
> query result and dropping it into the spreadsheet :-)

Hmmm, I've never quite been able to get there (00o 1.1.0): I'm able to connect to
MySQL (easily) but I get a selection of tables for the wrong database.  So close!  Any
hints?

A while back I actually splurged and spent $5.50 on a Perl program someone wrote to do
this [http://www.churm.com/konvertr/index.php] and it works just fine - writing to
Excel.  Very quick, beats point and click.

I guess I should have written something like that myself, but it's hard to beat 5
bucks, and I just could not write such a program fast enough to make doing it myself a
better deal (and if one writes all the tools along the way, one may lose sight of the
goal).

Eric Pederson
Eric at zomething dot com

P.S.  I also wanted something to quick summarize my field definitions across the
database for review, so I made a little script in Python which produces a HTML summary
of the table definitions.  I find it helpful documentation.
http://www.zomething.com/describe_MySQL.htm  You need Python on your machine to run
it.  http://www.python.org  Feedback invited.