Let me ask a few more questions before making any attempt to say anything
else. Once I understand your requirements better, I may not be able to say
anything useful but hopefully others on this list will jump in and help....

I'm not clear on whether this is a single one-time only conversion or
whether you plan to re-import your contacts to the database on a regular
basis. In other words, once you've imported your contacts into MySQL, will
you stop saving new contacts in Outlook use MySQL in its place? Or are you
dumping your contacts down from Outlook, playing with them in MySQL, but
still gathering new contacts in Outlook with the intent of dumping them down
again regularly - every week or every month for example?

If it's a one-time only conversion, it should be a relatively easy and
straightforward job to convert from your old system to MySQL. With any luck,
it's just a matter of:
1) defining your new table or tables in MySQL
2)  exporting your old data into a common format like CSV or ASCII or DEL
3) writing and executing the command that reads the old data into MySQL
4) deleting the original data (if you want to clean up)

Depending on the complexity of the data and how long it takes you to learn
the basics of data modelling, this job shouldn't take more than a few days.
(I don't mean to brag but I've done this kind of things for years and could
probably do the whole job in a day or less, assuming the data is not too
complicated).

Of course you may want some programs or at least some queries to work with
the data. That could take a lot of time and effort or very little, depending
on what you need. If you need programs and you don't know any programming
languages (or none of the programming languages you know work with MySQL),
it could take you a fair amount of time to learn your chosen language well
enough to write the necessary programs. Then again, if you're already a
fluent programmer in a language that works with MySQL, like C, PHP, or Java,
it might not be a big deal at all.

If you intend to keep Outlook around and simply refresh MySQL from Outlook
periodically, there is additional work involved. If I were doing it, I'd
write a script that automates the export/download/load cycle.

Assuming that Outlook has at least as complex an Address Book as Outlook
Express the complexity of your data model could be fairly high if you use
all of the different types of data available. For instance, if you store
several different types of phone numbers for each person/business, keep home
and business addresses for the people you know professionally, etc. your
data model will be a bit more complex than if you simply use name and phone
number.

The other issue is what you mean by 'templates'. From your note, I'm not at
all clear on what you mean. I use Outlook Express but I don't recall ever
seeing templates in it. Are you talking about techniques for selecting
subsets from the table? For example, list all people whose last name starts
with 'L' who live in Montreal? If yes, MySQL should do that quite nicely. If
you simply want to display that information, a few simple queries should do
the job. If you need to print reports that list this information, you're
probably looking at some programming requirements or at least some scripts.

What operating system are you using? It is getting easier to handle many
requirements with scripts rather than writing full programs these days. If
you are running on Linux for example, bash provides quite a few capabilities
for writing simple but powerful scripts that could write reports, among
other things. A script would also be my first choice if I wanted to refresh
the MySQL data from Outlook regularly.

Well, it's time to shut up and let you get a word in edgewise ;-)

Rhino