Well, it's up to you of course.

Personally, I think what you need is pretty easy if you can get someone with
the right skill set to give you a hand. Unless there are a lot of
requirements that you haven't mentioned yet, someone like me could load your
database, build your queries, and write your servlet in a matter of a few
days. Testing and documentation (especially for the servlet) would add to
that but not a lot unless you wanted a really massive amount of testing or
documentation. Someone who builds a custom solution for you could also
explain in detail everything that they've done, which might help you manage
it and enhance it better.

But if you'd rather pay for something "off the shelf" that doesn't really do
what you want, you're free to do that. It would probably be cheaper to go
that way. It might be buggy, it might not be well-supported, it may do much
more or less than you really want, it might be unfriendly but it would
likely - but not necessarily - be cheaper to buy "off the shelf". Custom
solutions usually cost more, although you get a lot more leverage: *you*
dictate what it does and how well it does it.

Or you could learn the necessary skills and do the work yourself. Writing
scripts to do what you need wouldn't be terribly difficult if you keep them
reasonably simple. That's why I included that example in my previous note: I
wanted you to see that we're not talking about 50,000 line programs, just
short scripts. But it does take time to learn those skills and you may not
want to spend that much time managing contacts.

Anyway, it's up to you. I hope you're happy with whatever you decide to do.

Good luck!

Rhino