>I finally managed to install MySQL succesfully. I created a simple DB with
two
>different tables. I also created a simple PHP script to list all DBs and
>tables.
>
>However, it seems that the PHP script cannot access MySQL server, because the
>following error message is displayed:
>
>Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /srv/www/htdocs/sqltest.php on line 4

This error could result from a number of possible problems.  First off I
would check to make sure the mysqld is running and attaching to the default
socket (3306).  If you have it set up otherwise, you will likely need the
connect to contain the ':3307' socket adjustment to the name of the host
being sought.  I have validated that the rest of your logic is correct
once the connection is established.
             Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])