n Tuesday 23 March 2004 02:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> tcp        0      0 *:3307                  *:*
> >> LISTEN
> >
> >It seems that the correct socket is used. Here is the output:
> >
> >unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     3303   private/relay
> >unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     3307   public/showq
>
>      Looks like 3307 is indeed open, so you may want to modify your
> mysql_connect to use localhost:3307 - since that is likely to be the
> port mysqld is using based upon this output.  The default is usually
> 3306, so if you do not include the :3307 port reference you may very
> well not be able to connect.
>                 Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

I tried to connect to socket #3307 as follows:

$link = mysql_connect("localhost:3307", "root", "passwd");

but without any changes. Hmmm ... I did not expect this to be so hard.

--------------
I've lost track of this thread so sorry if this is no longer valid...
Have you read http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Multiple_servers.html?

Its not as simple as just specying a port, i don't think, you'll need to
make sure mysql in using a different socket file on start up if you want to
connect to an additional/different port.  I set two up once..one on 3.x and
one on 4.0x, and specifying the socket file/listen port was the magic combo
for me.(2 years ago now, so my memory may not be serving me well)

Does this already work on 3306 for you?

Again, sorry if this is no longer valid or redundant.

Jeff