>It seems that mysqld is up and running (view the results below), but could
you
>specify how to check the socket, please?

Based on your ps information, the socket will likely be in the
/usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf file under the [mysqld] area.  Another way
to tell if there is a socket open for the server would be to use

        netstat -a | grep 330

Which would show a line similar to this:

tcp        0      0 *:3307                  *:*                     LISTEN

with the port I'm using {3307} showing up as currently in use, tcp
protocol with a listener {LISTEN} connected to the socket.  Hopefully
the port specified in the my.cnf will show on the netstat output as
described above.
               Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])