Richard S. Huntrods wrote:

> I need to access a specific directory from within tomcat, but I'm having
> a specific problem and require some advice.
>
> I have a link to a file in the servlet, something like
> "https://myserver.com/special-directory/file.zip";
>
> If I create the directory as follows:
> /export/home/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/special-directory/ and put "file.zip"
> in that directory, it all works perfectly.
>
> HOWEVER, if instead of creating the actual directory, I create a
> symbolic link to a different directory
>
> (i.e. in ROOT I type "ln -s /export/home/myfiles/directory
> special-directory", the linked directory appears, and (in unix) I can
> see/access the files. BUT - tomcat no longer finds the files, even
> though the linked directory has the required name and files.
>
> Is there some way to make tomcat "see" a linked directory?
>
> The problem is that the servlets are writing a data file for offline use
> in one directory, and then I was hoping to symbolically link that
> directory under ROOT so the user could access it.  Worst case, I guess I
> could write to "ROOT/special-directory", but I didn't really want the
> user files stored there - just a link. Since these files are created "on
> the fly", a hard link won't work.
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> -Richard

Richard,

Your question is probably best answered on a tomcat mailing list, not a
MySQL one, however....

You need to add 'allowLinking' to your context to tell Tomcat to follow
symlinks, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html for
more info.

Regards,

        -Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

Meet the MySQL Team! April 14-16, 2004 http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/