Mark,

Thank you. I subscribe to both lists as my system uses Tomcat (sometimes Jetty) and MySQL with Servlets to do it's work. However, you were the first person to reply!

Thanks for the answer - even if it is from the "wrong" list! :-)

Cheers,

-Richard

Mark Matthews wrote:

Richard S. Huntrods wrote:

I need to access a specific directory from within tomcat, but I'm having
a specific problem and require some advice.

I have a link to a file in the servlet, something like
"https://myserver.com/special-directory/file.zip";

If I create the directory as follows:
/export/home/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/special-directory/ and put "file.zip"
in that directory, it all works perfectly.

HOWEVER, if instead of creating the actual directory, I create a
symbolic link to a different directory

(i.e. in ROOT I type "ln -s /export/home/myfiles/directory
special-directory", the linked directory appears, and (in unix) I can
see/access the files. BUT - tomcat no longer finds the files, even
though the linked directory has the required name and files.

Is there some way to make tomcat "see" a linked directory?

The problem is that the servlets are writing a data file for offline use
in one directory, and then I was hoping to symbolically link that
directory under ROOT so the user could access it.  Worst case, I guess I
could write to "ROOT/special-directory", but I didn't really want the
user files stored there - just a link. Since these files are created "on
the fly", a hard link won't work.

Thanks very much in advance,

-Richard

Richard,

Your question is probably best answered on a tomcat mailing list, not a
MySQL one, however....

You need to add 'allowLinking' to your context to tell Tomcat to follow
symlinks, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html for
more info.

Regards,

-Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

Meet the MySQL Team! April 14-16, 2004 http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/