> You can restrict logging only on the database level with
> binlog-do-db/binlog-ignore-db options:
>       http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Binary_log.html

I don't want to restrict logging, only replication.

I think I figured it out, though, despite the fact that the
documentation is completely inadequate on the subject (couldn't find any
info at all about this).  The documentation reads:

    Each slave server receives from the master the saved updates
    that the master has recorded in its binary log, so that the
    slave can execute the same updates on its copy of the data.

I read this as the master sending all of its log data to the slave, and
the slave then parsing that data according to its ignore-db and/or
ignore-table  settings.  However, another admin informed me that the
slave actually connects to the master and uses some kind of pseudo-query
to grab only the log data that it wants.  Thus, data from any table
listed with replicate-ignore-table is never actually downloaded to the
slave at all.  Since the documentation is aimed more at
replication-for-efficiency rather than replication-for-redundancy, it
talks about "updating" and "replicating" but doesn't refer directly to
how the data transfer itself works.  It's rather annoying.

-Chris