> Agreed that the replication section could be written more clearly, but is
> not the information you are looking for in section 6.3 Replication
> Implementation Details, section 6.6 features & problems, 6.7 startup options
> and 6.8 FAQ?

You must be reading a different manual than me
(http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html), some of your section
numbers are all different than what I see.  Anyway...

6.3 (Replication Implementation Details) seems to disagree with my
previous findings, describing the "download" slave thread as simply
downloading everything the master sends to it.   However, it says
nothing about whether or not the "request" thread tells the master to or
not to send certain tables/databases.  I can't find anything related
anywhere sle in the replication documentation section about this,
either.

-Chris