> Hi,
>
> I have recently had a system crash that required the
> installation of a new hard drive. I have access to the
> files on the old hard drive, on which is a database I
> need to recover.
>
> I am running MySql 3.23.37 and all the tables in the
> database to be recovered are MyISAM.
>
> How can I recover the old database onto a new
> server with only file access? The documentation
> suggests to me that I need to copy all the *.frm,
> *.MYD, and *.MYI files. If this is the case, where
> should I copy them to on the new server?

Each table in MySQL is represented by a MYD, MYI, and frm file. These are collected in
directories, each of which represents a
database. So copy the files, along with the directories they were in (which represent
the databases), except for the "mysql"
database,  into the MySQL data directory. For example, if you used the RPM install,
this directory will be /var/lib/mysql, or
wherever you extracted the binary install to if you've used the binary installation.
Then restart MySQL, and it will pick up the
databases.

-- Alex