> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently had a system crash that required the
> > installation of a new hard drive. I have access to the
> > files on the old hard drive, on which is a database I
> > need to recover.
> >
> > I am running MySql 3.23.37 and all the tables in the
> > database to be recovered are MyISAM.
> >
> > How can I recover the old database onto a new
> > server with only file access? The documentation
> > suggests to me that I need to copy all the *.frm,
> > *.MYD, and *.MYI files. If this is the case, where
> > should I copy them to on the new server?
>
> Each table in MySQL is represented by a MYD, MYI, and frm file. These are
collected in directories, each of which represents a
> database. So copy the files, along with the directories they were in
(which represent the databases), except for the "mysql"
> database,  into the MySQL data directory. For example, if you used the RPM
install, this directory will be /var/lib/mysql, or
> wherever you extracted the binary install to if you've used the binary
installation. Then restart MySQL, and it will pick up the
> databases.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I now have all the frm MYD and MYI files under a new
directory within MySQL.

How do I restart the service manually? Would it be:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql restart

I am using Apache web server on a Cobalt RAQ.

Thanks