At 8:29 -0600 4/8/04, Kevin Jaques wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I feel it is getting me somewhere, but I'm not there yet.

The log said, regarding the most recent attempt:

040407 09:55:24 mysqld started
040407 9:55:25 InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: See http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html for installation help.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
040407 09:55:25 mysqld ended

What directory is it referring to? What user/group does mysqld need? I

The data directory, as you indicate that you already know below. The user account that is relevant here is whatever account you use for running the server. I will suppose that this is "mysql" on your system?

referred to the web site it mentioned, and the page was enormous without an apparent section on installation or authorization issues. A search revealed that it thought the mysql server should have access to 'datadir'. Well, duh.

My data directory shows:

[iMac-dv:local/mysql/data] kj% ls -al
total 8
drwxr-x---   5 root   wheel   170  5 Apr 08:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x  20 root   wheel   680 10 Feb 13:05 ../
-rw-rw----   1 mysql  wheel  2234  7 Apr 09:55 iMac-dv.local.err
drwxr-x---  20 root   wheel   680 10 Feb 13:05 mysql/
drwxr-x---   2 root   wheel    68 10 Feb 13:05 test/

So, what now?

This shows that it's owned by root/wheel. You want it to be owned by mysql/some-group. I don't know what group that will be for you. mysql? Anyway, in that directory, run this command as root:

chown -R mysql .

That changes the ownership of the directory and everything under it to
mysql.

Then restart the server, either from the mysql account, or as root with
the --user=mysql option.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/