That didn't work but it led to something that did. It turned out that the owning group didn't have full authorization in the data folder. So, I did a brute force approach. I made mysql the owner of everything, instead of root, made mysql the group of everything (which it already was), then made the group privileges equal to the owner privileges (of everything).

It worked. Do you foresee it leading to problems or security risks?

Thanks again for your response!