First a big thanks to Mark, BAO, Beacker, Matthais, Rich & Ken for their
response.

My problem was that I thought that I needed to download "tar" file to start
the installation. Rich's response somewhat cleared that. I ran the following
commands, and got the following errors:

% perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install Data::Dumper
cpan> install DBI
(no problem upto this point)
cpan> install DBD::mysql
Errors returned:

Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 174
readline() on closed filehandle PIPE at Makefile.PL line 176
...  (there are 10 such errors)

Then few other lines of output without error. Then I get the following
(error) response:

Checking if your kit is complete...
looks good
Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 97.
... (number of such errors)
Note (probabally harmless): No library found for -lmysqlclient
Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 97.
... (again quite a number of such errors)
Note (probabally harmless): No library found for -lgz
Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql
Makefile:89: *** missing separator.  Stop.
  /usr/bin/make  --NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
cpan>

What are these errors?
How should I fix them?
Can I continue installing other software (Apache, qmail, etc.)

Thanks.

Kirti