Kirti S. Bajwa wrote:

Ken:

Thank you for your response. I tried the 'mysql_config' command and got an
error message. I will add 'mysql_config' to the path (if I figure out
how!!!).

You need to add the directory which contains mysql_config to your path. Adding to your PATH isn't difficult, but the method depends on your shell. You can find your shell with

echo $SHELL

I noticed that on my installation the 'mysql_config' is in
'/usr/local/mysql/bin' directory whereas you have indicated that it should
be in '/usr/local/bin' directory! Please clarify!!

/usr/local/mysql/bin is fine. With tcsh, you can add this to your path with

set path=($PATH /usr/local/mysql/bin)

With sh or bash, you should be able to add this to your path with

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin

Either way, you should probably also add this to the appropriate shell startup file, so mysql is always in your path.

You can check your path with

echo $PATH

Two more questions:

(1) Since I have done partial installation, would it hurt if I re-do the
entire Perl instalation or start from the command where the errors were
encountered?

You didn't break anything, you just didn't succeed in adding the module. Just go back into CPAN and try again. I'd suggest

  perl -MCPAN -eshell
  install Bundle::DBI
  install Bundle::DBD::mysql

Installing the bundles will make sure you have everything you need. As you've already installed DBI, you'll already have most of what the bundles contain, and CPAN is smart enough not to reinstall what you already have.

(2) I also have two Client MySQL servers (which connect to master MySQL
server for data). Do I also need to install Perl on these Client MySQL
Servers?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Client MySQL servers". Do you mean machines which need the mysql client to connect to the machine running the mysql server, or do you mean machines which will run the mysql server as slaves to the master server?

In any case, you can run the mysql server and client without perl. On the other hand, a number of the helper apps in /usr/local/mysql/bin are perl scripts. Of course, you will need to install perl on any machine where you want to use perl to connect/manipulate your mysql data, and perl is handy to have around in general.

Please remember, I am an IBM mainframe guy & my knowledge of LINUX related
soft is pretty low on scale.

Thanks.

Kirti

Michael