Okay, I've been googling for about half an hour, found several useful links
but I'm still having a problem with the password for the initial mysql db
that is created when you follow the install instructions.

Here is the problem I'm having:

joseph-a-nagy-jr root # /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h
joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org password 'somepassword'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org'
failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'
joseph-a-nagy-jr root # /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -h joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org
password 'somepassword'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'Access denied for
user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql''
joseph-a-nagy-jr root #

when I do

mysql -u root -p

and it asks for me to enter the pwd, I enter somepassword and it allows me
access to the mysql prompt. Do I need to set my router to forward the
default mysql port to my box? I'm trying to set up a db driven game (which I
posted about earlier) as well as create an ebuild for it and this is an
essential part. I'm fixing to sub to the mysql mailing list and forward my
problem there too as their archives show they've had similar problems but
nothing exactly like mine and nothing (so far as I've looked on my own
already) that would come close to being able to solve my problem.
--
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org
Political Activist Extraordinaire       Peace, Life, Liberty